A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words
Persuasive materials contain a variety of design elements which reinforce their message. Astute consumers of such materials should be aware of these elements in order to make their own informed decisions. Election posters use advertising methods to convey messages, and in this activity, we will learn how to recognize tools used by designers to influence the viewers.
Primary sources in this lessonSee all
- Create groups of five (“analysis group”). Each group analyzes one poster with the help of the Worksheet for Analyzing Persuasive Material.
- Then create new groups of five (“study group”) with each person representing a different poster. Each person presents the poster and the main issues that emerged during the analysis. Each study group discusses the following points based on the new knowledge that they have acquired of all five posters:
- Election posters or advertising in general can present a positive or negative message. Which type of message do you respond to best? Why?
- Would these posters convince you to do what it is advertising (i.e., vote for the candidate, buy the product, etc.)? Why or why not?
- What types of media are used to advertise? Where are you most likely to see persuasive materials?
- A representative of each study group presents the group’s insights to the class.
- Which poster do you like best?
- What feelings do the posters convey?
- What design methods were used to convey these feelings?
- How do the posters reflect the period they were printed in?
- What features make these posters specifically designed for Yom Ha’atzmaut?
- Would these posters be relevant for Yom Ha’atzmaut today?
- What would be the same?
- What would be different?
- Write a letter to a government office or an organization advocating for a cause that is important to you. Address the issue and explain what you are looking to change. Then come up with a catchy slogan for your cause and consider how you would design a poster or ad to promote it.
- Create a presentation of advertisements and/or election posters from your country using traditional art materials or online apps (Emaze, Canva, and Prezi are recommended).
- Find examples of advertisements and posters that incorporate design elements that reinforce the message. Analyze the design and what each element represents.