Israeli Athlete Ester Roth-Shahamorov
In this unit we will learn about Israeli track and field athlete Esther Roth-Shahamorov, by taking a close look at a photograph of her retirement ceremony. Roth-Shahamorov inspired hundreds of young athletes and continues to be a role model to sportswomen who wish to combine a career with motherhood.
Take a look at the photograph from Esther Roth-Shahamorov's Retirement Ceremony, 1983 and read the information about it.
Write a short summary based on the following questions:
- Who was Esther Roth-Shahamorov?
- List her career highlights.
- What difficulties did she face during this time?
- Why did the Israeli national athletic association hold this ceremony in her honor? Do you think that every athlete is honoured in this way?
- What were Roth-Shahamorov's feelings about the ceremony? Why did she say that she only agreed to the ceremony "for the sake of the wider public"?
- How do you think the Israeli public would have reacted to her retirement?
- In the 1972 Munich Olympic, Roth-Shahamorov qualified for the 100 meter hurdles semi-finals, but she withdrew from the games together with other members of the Israeli Olympic team.
- Why was this? What happened at the Munich Olympics?
- Have you ever attended a retirement or farewell party or event?
- What were the feelings of the participants?
- Choosing to be a professional athlete can be even more difficult for women. Why?
- Are you an athlete? Are you interested in becoming professional? What challenges are you facing?
Choose one of the following activities:
- Write a letter to Roth-Shahamorov explaining how inspirational she is to you.
- Choose a female athlete you know and admire. Write them a letter explaining why.
- Write an article about an female athlete you value, describing her achievements.