Who is this Israeli? 1971 Israeli Cartoon
Cartoons are an interesting source to get insight into politics and culture. We will look at a 1971 Israeli cartoon as a commentary about the participation of foreign athletes in Israeli sports.
Have students stand in a line rating from “agree” to “disagree” about the following statement: “Israel should cap the number of foreign players on their national basketball team.” Ask students to give reasons for their position.
- Why did the illustrator depict the foreign player as black?
- What do you think is the message of this cartoon?
- Do you think national sports teams should have foreign players?
- What is the impact of having foreign players on the team?
- Why might African American players be drawn to play basketball in Israel?
- Why might some Israelis be against having foreign players?
Pretend you are a veteran Israeli basketball fan. Write a monologue from their perspective about why there should be a cap on foreign players.
Watch this video about Aulcie Perry. Create your own cartoon about what he describes as Macabbi’s “fighting spirit.”