Chanukah Candle Lighting in the IDF
How should candles be lit on Chanukah according to Halacha (Jewish law)? What adjustments to standard halachic procedures should be made for IDF soldiers? In this unit we will read an article from Ma’ariv concerning accommodations made for IDF soldiers during Chanukah. By reading and studying the article and relevant Jewish texts, we will discover key halachic concepts that are considered when rendering Jewish law and learn about the role of the military rabbinate.
In hevruta pairs, study the Sefaria Chanukah Candle lighting in the IDF source sheet.
- When and where was the article written?
- What situation is the article describing?
- What difficulties is the article relating to?
- What solutions are presented in the article?
- What adjustments to standard halachic procedures must be made for IDF soldiers?
- What is taken into account when making halachic decisions?
- What other information appears in the article?
- Can you think of any other situations when lighting Chanukah candles might have been challenging?
- Have you ever lit candles in a difficult situation? What did you do?
- What other halachic difficulties might soldiers face during their army service?
Make a booklet for IDF soldiers explaining the laws of candle lighting and providing the blessings and songs for a Chanukah celebration.