Look at some examples of Jewish family trees, and have a discussion based on the questions below:
1. What is a family tree? Does your family have one?
2. How far back can you trace your ancestors?
3. What countries did your family come from?
4. Why might you want to have a family tree?
5. What do the roots of the tree symbolize? What do the branches symbolize?
Introduce the students to online genealogy resources. Ask them to do an initial search for their family name or the name of their community (city, town, or country):
Let’s create a family tree! Start by filling out the information in Family Tree Preparation Sheet, with the help of a family member. Then design your family tree on paper or using an online app:
To summarize the activity, you can create a class exhibit and/or a large map where students can pin their countries of origin.