Chanukah and Israel’s Emblem
What is the emblem of the State of Israel and how is it connected to Chanukah? What symbols were chosen to appear on Israel’s emblem? What do the symbols represent? What does the emblem say about the nature of the State of Israel? In this activity, you will get to know the emblem of the State of Israel through the texts that inspired the design, learn about the connection between the emblem and Chanukah and finally design your own emblem.
- What elements appear in the emblem of the State of Israel?
- What do they symbolize?
- What sources influenced this design?
- How are they connected to Chanukah?
Work in pairs or small groups with the source sheet attached to:
- Analyze the emblem of the State of Israel using the Zechariah and Exodus texts.
- Connect the emblem to Chanukah.
- Compare the menorah on the emblem to the Arch of Titus.
- Read about the process for choosing an emblem.
Design your own emblem for Israel, incorporating symbols and elements that you find meaningful