Food Advertising in Israel
In the 1970s ready-made versions of traditional foods were developed by two major Israeli food manufacturers, Telma and Osem. They were advertised as tasty, quick, and easy and were appealing to women who were entering the workforce.
- Who prepares the food in your house?
- How long do you think it usually takes to make dinner?
- What products does your family use to speed up dinner preparation?
- How much time do you think your grandparents or great-grandparents spent on preparing food?
- Why do you think that people today have less time to prepare food?
- What can food advertisements teach us about society?
In a Jigsaw style activity, the students analyze four advertisements for ready-made foods.
In groups of four (“analysis group”), analyze one advertisement with the help of the Food Advertisement Worksheet – Analysis Group. (If this is a Hebrew lesson, you might decide not to print the translations.)
Then create new groups consisting of four members, each of whom have analyzed a different advertisement (“study group”). In their study group, each student presents the advertisement they previously analyzed and the main issues that emerged during the analysis. The students then compile the information in a table using Comparing Food Advertisements – Study Group.
Now, based on their new knowledge of all four advertisements, they discuss the following points:
- Did the same adjectives appear in all of the advertisements?
- Were all of the advertisements addressing the same audience? Why?
- Which products do you think were successful? Why?
- If the companies were making ready-made products today, what do you think would be different? How would their marketing strategy differ?
In pairs or small groups, with the help of Food Ads: Product Development and Marketing Worksheet, students invent a time-saving, ready-made product, considering the following points:
- What types of foods does your family like to eat?
- Why does it take a long time to prepare food in your home?
- What tasks could be done for you which would make preparation easier?